ABCs 4 SLPs: A is for Apps - The Enchanted Dictionary 4-6th Grade Review and Giveaway
Golden Communications LLC is the developer of both The Enchanted Dictionary 4-6th Grade and The Enchanted Dictionary 7-12th Grade, but did you know that the developer is also a speech-language pathologist? In addition, Golden Communications LLC is participating in Moms With Apps' "App Friday" today as the host during the US time and has placed their applications on sale. The Enchanted Dictionary 4-6th Grade is on sale for $0.99 today and The Enchanted Dictionary 7-12th Grade is free! Get these apps while you can! If you want to take a chance on my giveaway below, there are four up for grabs at the end of this review.
Instead of making you go into a separate menu to view the instructions, The Enchanted Dictionary 4-6th Grade shows multiple screens of instructions for you to read prior to starting the application. You can scroll through these instruction screens by using your finger and swiping it up or down on the screen. Press the "Done" button at the top right hand side of the screen when you have finished reading the instructions.
Here is a YouTube video explaining how to use the application:
The Enchanted Dictionary 4-6th Grade contains 650+ definitions for various subject matters (English/Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies) in 4th, 5th, and 6th grade. You will see these categories displayed on the right hand side of the screen upon starting the application and when pressed, they will show all of the vocabulary available for that category. You can press "Select All" or "Select None" at the top right hand side of the screen to choose definitions or press individual definitions to use on the app. A check mark will appear next to the definitions selected for application play and will be used once the application is started.
Press the "Play!" button to the left of the "Categories" heading on the main page to start the application once you have selected definitions to be used. Categories/Subcategories to choose from include (scroll through to view the entire list):
- Narrative and Informational Text
- Word Structure
- Charts and Graphs
- Number Theory
- Probability and Statistics
- Earth Science
- Electricity/Physical Science
- Environmental Science
- Life Science
- Scientific Method
- Ancient Cultures
- Map Skills
You must first be in edit mode to edit or delete categories or definitions. To get into edit mode, press the "Edit" button at the top of the application. To add a new category/sub-category to the application, click the "+" button underneath the category headings. You can then type in a new label for a new category. To add a new definition to a category that has already been created, click the "+" button underneath the definitions. Then, type in the vocabulary item followed by the definition. If you wish to delete a category or definition, press the red circle button with the "-" in the middle, then press the "Delete" button to the right of the given category/definition.
If regular definitions aren't enough for you, this application also has an advanced mode of editing for definitions that include lists. This includes use of commas and conjunctions within the definitions. To use list definitions, make sure that you add square brackets to your definition around the list or conjunction with the terms prior and following the conjunction. For example, Golden Communications LLC shows these definitions: "An ocean trench is a [long, narrow, deep] depression in the ocean bed." and "Diffusion is the spread of [people, ideas, technology, and products] among places." Conjunctions recognized by the application include: and, or, nor, and and/or. Semi-colons may not be used within brackets.
Golden Communications LLC also lists their website for questions, comments, further information, or additional applications on their app. This website is: http://GoldenCommunicationsLLC.com.
The instructions menu can be accessed at any time by pressing the "Help" button to the left of the "Definitions" heading on the main page.
What I Liked About the Application:
- I love that there are 650+ preloaded definitions that relate to classroom vocabulary. Like I said above, I feel like I am always running back and forth between teachers to ask about the classroom vocabulary the students are working on.
- The categories and subcategories are phenomenal! This makes finding the subject area to work on with the student quick and easy. This application is easy to use.
- The fact that I am able to add definitions is great!
- Since this application was created by a speech-language pathologist, it would be cool to see some speech-language pathology definitions. This would be great especially for fluency/memory/word-finding/articulation techniques as well as structures!
- It would be nice to know which definitions/categories correspond with which grades. I know there is some carry over, so this may be difficult.
- Receptive Language - Of course, this application was developed to be used to learn classroom vocabulary. I would definitely recommend using visuals with vocabulary from graphic organizers to timelines to cycles (such as a life cycle). This way, vocabulary can be learned visually as well.
- Expressive Language - Have the student use the word in a sentence or have the student write the word in a sentence.
- Articulation/Fluency/Voice - Students who are practicing articulation/fluency/voice can read the definitions aloud using their best speech sounds/fluent speech.
Speech Time Fun also reviewed this application on her website. Check it out here to see how she reviewed it!
Golden Communications LLC has given Consonantly Speaking 4 application codes to giveaway for The Enchanted Dictionary 4-6th Grade. Please enter via the Rafflecopter below and be sure to grab the 7th-12th Grade version of the app today while it is free!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Consonantly Speaking was given an application code to review The Enchanted Dictionary 4-6th Grade application by Golden Communications LLC as well as 4 codes to give away. No other form of compensation was received.