ABCs 4 SLPs: A is for Apps/AAC - SLP Words HD Review and Giveaway
SLP Words HD is an application that not only can be used for simple AAC or choices but to help students recognize words via written text/audio. The application is easy to use and comes with 32 word pair (3 for the Lite version) button screens (mostly opposites and spatial words). Upon opening the application, the preset words are shown on the screen in list format as well as a "Settings" button and "+" button.
Other Great Apps:
Here you can click to view Seven Infinity LLC's other applications and their website. On their website they also have a YouTube video showing how to use the application.
By pressing the "Contact Support" button, an e-mail window will appear. Make sure that your e-mail application is connected with your iPod/iPad. You can then e-mail the developer to ask them questions about the application/difficulty using the app.
I'm not sure why this is labeled help as well, but under the second "Help" heading; however, you have the ability to turn on or off the capability for the buttons to switch upon screen flip via a toggle switch for each of horizontal/vertical formats.
Under this heading are the options to determine whether or not to exit the view of the two buttons upon double-tap and whether or not to show next/previous buttons at the top of each page. These options can both be turned on/off via a toggle switch.
Since this application has the ability to record audio to go with each button, there is also the ability to turn on/off the sound via a toggle switch. You can also choose whether or not you would like visual feedback via the buttons jumping when pressed via an on/off toggle switch.
Preset word pairs on the main page include:
- Behind/In Front
- Next To/Between
- Touch Here/Touch Here
You can have an unlimited number of pairs of buttons for the full version of the application (Lite version only allows 5 sets). Any new buttons that you make are added to the main page on the scrolling list. The great thing about this list is that the font is large so that a person can select which pair to use. However, if you choose to delete any pairs of words, swipe your finger to the left on the word pair you wish to delete. Then, press the red "Delete" button. The audio, text, and buttons associated with that word pair will be deleted and the word pair will be deleted from your word list on the main page.
When you are using the button pairs, you can navigate between them on the screen by pressing the arrow keys at the top right hand side of the page (if that setting is turned on). In addition, to exit back to the main page to pick a new set of words, you must press the "Pick A Word" button on the top left hand side. If you have it set to be pressed twice in the settings menu, which makes it harder for a student to exit the page, then press it twice to get back to choose new words. Otherwise, press it once.
What I Like About the Application:
- The application is simple to use and create a board with two buttons for communication or choices.
- You can record short audio to match a short amount of text or longer audio to tell a story or ask a question related to a label.
- The buttons are easy to customize and change the colors of the background, buttons, and text as well as the font size to make sure that everything is readable.
- The text on the main page and the buttons used on the application are large so that they are easier to press by those who have motor difficulties.
- You can have an unlimited amount of button pairs saved onto the application.
- If you have the setting set to have students "Double Tap to exit view", they are less likely to exit out of the current communication board.
- Since this application is so easy to use and customize, I would love the ability to have a couple more buttons to add to give students 1-4 or 1-6 choices. Also, it would be neat to include different ways to use the buttons such as in a visual schedule, small communication board, etc.
- Maybe a different way to choose button pairs on the main menu so that students can see a visual of the button pairs they will be using. I am not sure exactly what I mean by this but I would like a grid or different way to visualize the different button pairs I have saved for easier accessibility for my students.
- The ability to place photos on buttons for children who cannot read.
- Choice buttons
- First-Then buttons
- Have a student press a button to make an animal sound to go with a book or read text aloud with a page on a book.
- Have a student press a button to request an item or divulge information/a story.
SLP Words HD is currently $2.99 with the Lite version being free.
Consonantly Speaking was given an app code to review this application as well as 5 other codes to give away of this application. No other form of compensation was given.
Kickstarter for the Mother Goose Project:
Brian Nelson, the founder and programmer of Seven Infinity LLC, currently has a Kickstarter in place to create a children's application for an animated storybook. This is called the "Mother Goose Project". He is looking to create a quality storybook application with innovative artwork, narrators, animation, and programming. To help fund his project, visit his Kickstarter page - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1764373013/mother-goose-project-for-ipad. Any donation would help and you can view what types of items will be given for each type of pledge. Also, view videos and read information in regards to his inspiration, updates, and more on the app. This project has a deadline of June 22nd, 2012 on Kickstarter, so be sure to check it out!
Seven Infinity LLC has given me 5 codes to give away for SLP Words HD. Please enter via the Rafflecopter below. Winners will be drawn on Saturday, June 9th, 2012 and be notified via e-mail with a code.
a Rafflecopter giveaway