There are four different activities on the main page - Match, Puzzle, Dot-to-Dot, and Stickers.
There are settings on the parents page of the application. This discusses how to use the application, has buttons to turn on/off sound effects, and a "Reset All" button to reset all completed games including stickers earned/sticker scenes. There are also buttons to review the application on iTunes, give feedback via e-mail, go to Artgig Studio's website, and view more Artgig apps on iTunes. You can view a video of how to use the application below:
Choose the activity in which you would like the child to play:
- Match - Match colors, shapes, letters, and numbers on the aliens to the spaceship. You can play either by using visual or audio cues. Press and drag the correct alien to the spaceship and it will fly away. If you drag an alien that does not match the color, a spring will pop up and bounce the alien back to its original location. Each correct answer will add a number to the "Aliens Saved" number in the top right hand corner. Press the "?" button to hear the instructions again. Tap the microphone button on the spaceship if you set it to audio cues to hear the item to match.
- Puzzle - Choose between 16 different alien puzzles and the amount of pieces per puzzle. Tap, hold, and drag puzzle pieces into place.
- Dot to Dot - You can choose to have the application help the student via visual highlights on the number to press next or have the student connect the dots without visual cues. Once the dots are connected, an image will appear.
- Stickers - Select a background from the "Stickers" page. There are eight backgrounds total. Once the child has chosen the background, he or she can drag stickers onto the screen. Children can unlock more stickers by practicing skills on the activities on the application. Take a pictures of the screen by pressing the camera button. Press the "x" button to remove stickers from the screen.
What I Like About This Application:
- Not only is this application educational, but it is very creative as well!
- The theme of the application, aliens, is represented throughout all aspects of the application from the buttons to the activities to the stickers/backgrounds!
- Application play is easy to figure out and the application is clean. The colors, shapes, letters, and numbers are shown in circles with a white background so that they stand out and are easy to see.
- There is additional application content on Artgig Studio's website such as coloring pages!
- I find myself constantly keeping data on students, so I would love to know their accuracy of correct answers on the Matching game!
- RtI - Work on letter identification and uppercase/lowercase letter matching by selecting the "Letters" option on the "Matching" page.
- Basic Vocabulary - The application has the ability to match colors, shapes, letters, and numbers to work on with younger students.
- Auditory Bombardment - Press on the alien's bellies or the spaceship to hear colors, shapes, letters, or numbers stated aloud as many times as you want.
- Auditory Comprehension - Use the "Listen" activities on the "Matching" page to have students match the color, shape, letter, or number stated by the narrator with an alien.
- Receptive Language - Have students describe the aliens on different portions of the application. Have them compare and contrast them as well. Students can talk about size, shape, parts, number of legs/eyes/hands/feet/etc. and more. Discuss what each sticker is on the "Stickers" page.
- Expressive Language - Have students make a sentence using the color, letter, number, or shape shown to match. You can also have students create a sticker scene and create a story about it as well.
- Following Directions - Use the coloring pages or printable image of the aliens from the application on Artgig Studio's website and have children either follow directions using the alien printables!
Alien Buddies is available for the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad for $1.99.
Consonantly Speaking was given four application codes to give away in conjunction with this review. No other form of compensation was received.
Enter below for your chance to win a copy of this application:
a Rafflecopter giveaway