There are only three options on the main page of the application - a big green play button, a how to play book, and a button to view other applications by Pi'ikea Street.
(Note: Once you play the application, your image may appear on the Main Page)
(More animals will be available to unlock/use as you play through the application)
Also by Pi'ikea Street
This page of the application shows other games by Pi'ikea Street. If you do not have one of the applications on your iPad, you will be sent to its iTunes App Store page. If you do have the application already installed, you can press the image of the application and it will open that application. On this page at the top, you can also press buttons to review the application on the App Store, e-mail Pi'ikea Street questions or suggestions, visit their website, or follow them on social media. Pi'ikea Street's website includes coloring pages, a coloring contest (to possibly win an iPod Touch), crafts, news, things kids say, a shop for Pi'ikea gear, and a blog.
How to Play/Application Play
Playing on this application is as easy as 1, 2, 3.......4, 5. View the following images from Pi'ikea Street's "How to Play" button to learn more about how to use the application as I cannot explain it any better than they do. Then, press the green "Play" button to get started:
(Line up your face with the dotted lines)
(Touch the buttons for the different parts of the face to appear)
(Tilt your screen back and forth to catch strawberries)
(Press the camera button to take a picture of yourself in a mask (Above is a picture of me as a lion!). Then, press the share button to create a postcard and save it to your Camera Roll. Press the trash can button to delete the photo.)
(Here is me as a bunny! I laughed SO hard at this one that I had to share it!)
Here is a video by Pi'ikea Street of what children's faces look like with the augmented animals placed over their faces. This video is too cute!
What I Like About This Application:
- I had never used an augmented reality application before until I tried this application. It was fun, motivating, and entertaining! I kept on wanting to try more and more masks on, and I know my students will too! In addition, the mask flows along with your face when you try to catch the berries, which was super fun and could be great for tracking!
- The application play is easy to follow whether or not you look at the "How to Play" book beforehand.
- The buttons on the application are great visuals with popping colors which makes it easier to play for those who have vision impairments.
- Being able to match the pieces of the animals to a card makes the application more educational than just for fun!
- I am looking forward to seeing the new animals to play with in the next update! There are 10 currently included in this app, which I think is a great deal, but on the App Store it stated that more updates were to come! How exciting!
- It would be great to have the opportunity to share the images via e-mail directly from the application and to be able to choose the postcard background for the image.
- Receptive Language - Have students discuss the different parts of each animal on the screen on their faces. Talk about whether or not the parts match the animal on the flash card. Match the animal to the mask. Compare and contrast different animals on the application.
- Expressive Language - Have students write or talk about their answers to the question "If you could be any animal, which animal would you want to be?" Print an image of each student from the application with an animal mask on and have them write a story.
Mask Jumble Animals is available for the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad on sale for its launch week for $0.99! There is also a free version available that includes 3 masks if you would like to give the application a try!
Consonantly Speaking was given three application codes to give away with this review. No other form of compensation was given.
Enter the giveaway below for your chance to win one of three Mask Jumble Animals application codes!
a Rafflecopter giveaway