There is a cute, animated green monster on the first page with the title of the app. You can also view more apps or credits for the app by pressing one of the buttons at the bottom of the page.
To choose how to use the application, move the purple wheel left or right until a selection is made. Then, press on the wheel. The options are:
- Read Along With Ed (the author) - the author will narrate the text
- Read Along With a Friend - a child will narrate the text
- Read Myself - read the text without narration
- Sing Along - a female will sing the text as a song
What I Like About This Application:
- The application is interactive, animated, and colorful! It is perfect for young students!
- The book is very repetitive and easy to read for young readers.
- Ed Emberley narrates the application, which is a treat, as well as there being a song along with the text!
- There are four different options for reading the text which allows for a child to choose how they would like to read it each time!
- Not only is the application animated, different pieces of the monster's face make sounds as they animate!
- Receptive Language - Discuss parts of the face (nose, ears, hair, eyes, mouth, and teeth). Have children point to the different parts. Talk about what each part does (hear, smell, taste, etc.).
- Expressive Language - Have students expand each sentence in the book. For example, "a long bluish-greenish nose" can be added onto by stating its location ("in the center of his face") or what it does ("that honks when you push it"). Students can even create their own monsters and write a story about them.
- Social Language - Talk about things that are scary and how to cope. Talk about strategies to calm down when you feel scared. Have students read along with the application and say "go away" to the green monster. They can even create a monster of their fears and say go away to their fears!
- Articulation/Fluency/Voice - Have students read the text aloud using age-appropriate speech sounds, fluency strategies, and vocal strategies.
Go Away, Big Green Monster is available on the iPod Touch and iPhone for $2.99 as well as the iPad for $2.99.
Consonantly Speaking was given a copies of Go Away, Big Green Monster to give away with this review. No other form of compensation was received.
Enter the giveaways below for your chance to win a copy of Go Away, Big Green Monster for the iPod Touch/iPhone or iPad!
a Rafflecopter giveaway a Rafflecopter giveaway