There are five different buttons on the Main Page - Start, Options, Customize, Help, and Info.
This page will show you the application name, developer, website, and version.
This will show you how to use the application including a link to a YouTube video on how to use the application and a quick button guide for each page.
There are three options to set on this page. You can choose between a male or female narrator by pressing the associated button (a check mark will appear), show text labels underneath pictures or not, or import custom audio from Version 1.2.
Press the "Start" button to begin application play. Choose a carrier phrase or leave it blank by pressing the long, rectangular, white button on the left hand side of the screen. You can choose to leave it blank so only the color and object are shown/stated or choose from the following carrier phrases:
- The ___ is ___.
- I eat a ___ ___.
- I see a ___ ___.
- I play with a ___ ___.
- At the zoo, I saw a ___ ___.
- In my house, I have a ___ ___.
- In my backpack, I found a ___ ___.
- What do you do with a ___ ___?
Then, choose a color by choosing one at the top (black, blue, green, orange, red, white, or yellow). Press the buttons in order to hear them narrated aloud. The user can then record his or her own speech by pressing the microphone button. It will state that it is recording. Press the red button to stop recording. Then, press the green triangle to hear the recording played back.
When you want to see a new image in the same color/carrier phrase, press either of the arrow keys at the bottom of the application. Press the screen button at the top of the application to see all of the phrases in the given color/carrier phrase. To scroll down and see more, press, hold, and drag your finger up and down the list. You can lock and unlock colors, nouns, or templates by pressing the lock buttons.
Press the "+" button to add a new image to go with a selected color and carrier phrase. Then, record your voice for the image by pressing the microphone button and the red button to stop recording. Write the noun's text by pressing the "Abc" button. Press the green triangle button to play back the recording. Then, choose a picture from the Camera Roll by pressing the "Camera Roll" button and choosing a photo. If you want to rotate the image, press the arrow buttons.
What I Like About This Application:
- I love the fact that you can customize the application by adding your own photos. I actually took a picture very quickly of an orange slide that one of the children I was working with was playing with, and placed it on the application with the color orange. We started working on "orange slide", then "down orange slide", to "marble go down orange slide".
- The phrases are simple and expand which is perfect for younger students who are working on 2-8 word phrases. The fact that you can use up to 8 words is phenomenal and definitely allows you to use the application with a broader range of clients with different MLUs.
- Images within the application are related to the carrier phrases as well as the colors. You will not see "I eat a green dinosaur".
- You can take your own pictures to use on the application.
- I would love to see more images/phrases. I would also like to see a few more colors (purple, pink, gray).
- It would be great to create your own carrier phrases to go along with the colors and images.
- Articulation - Take pictures of objects with a students' speech sound in a certain color. For additional speech sound practice, if a students' speech sound is in one of the colors, you can add an image of a noun in that color that also contains his or her speech sound. For example, "red robin".
- Voice/Fluency - Have students practice their speech in short phrases to longer phrases using vocal/fluency strategies.
- Receptive Language - Not only will students learn about colors using this application but also different objects. Students will learn objects that can come in different colors (or the toy versions that can come in any color). Have students describe the different objects.
- Expressive Language - Phrases start at 2 words and progress up to 8 words. This application helps students expand their language by expanding sentences a couple words at a time.
SpeakColors HD is available for the iPad for $3.99. There is also a Lite version available for free if you would like to test it out!
Consonantly Speaking was given an application code of SpeakColors HD to give away with this review. No other form of compensation was given.
Enter the giveaway below for your chance to win a copy of this application!
a Rafflecopter giveaway