The Main Page has three options for application play:
- Inclusion - Identify which 2 of 3 words rhyme
- Exclusion - Identify which 1 of 3 words does not rhyme
- Random - Switches between the two
Once you press one of the three buttons to begin application play, three images will show. The student must choose the two that rhyme or the one that does not rhyme depending on the option chosen. Press the sound wave button to hear the instructions/words read aloud. As the words are stated aloud, the application highlights the associated words in blue. When the correct answer(s) is/are chosen, it/they will highlight in blue. Otherwise, the incorrect card chosen will be faded. You can move to the next image/directions by swiping your finger right to left. Press "End Session" once the session has been completed.
What I Like About This Application:
- This application allows students to work on auditory rhyming in two different ways (inclusion and exclusion).
- The application is clean, easy to use, and does not have any distractors.
- The narrator states the names of each of the images and the corresponding images are highlighted for those with receptive language difficulties.
- As with many apps, especially ones related to RtI where we have to keep documentation, I would love it if there were multiple user profiles and scoring within the app like some of the other Speech EZ apps.
- It would be great to have the option to view the written word associated with the images so that word families, spelling, and sounding out words can be worked on as well.
- RtI/Phonological Awareness - This application focuses on rhyming skills. You can use the application to practice and assess a child's rhyming.
- Auditory Bombardment - You can use this application to have children listen to multiple rhyming words.
- Vocabulary - Have the application narrate the cards for children to learn various vocabulary. You can also have children name the different cards and then have the application narrate them for the child to see if he or she was correct.
- Articulation - See if the children can think of real and silly rhymes with their speech sound that rhyme with the two other words stated.
- Expressive Language - Have the child state or write sentences with rhyming words in them. They could even write a story using rhyming words.
Auditory Rhyming is available for the iPad for $29.99.
Consonantly Speaking was given an application code to give away with this review. No other form of compensation was given.
Come back for a giveaway of this amazing application!