The Main Page of this application shows multiple animals as well as six other options:
Press and choose a language for the applications' audio and text to be stated/shown between English, French, Spanish, Dutch, and more!
Guide for Parents:
This shows the intended population to use the application with, how to use the application, and each mode.
Press this button to rate the application in iTunes.
The Bookshelf shows other Sanoen book applications currently installed on your device.
"i" button/Sanoen eBooks for Kids:
This brings you to the "About" page for the developer, discussing different stories and credits.
Press the "To the farm!" text to head to the page where you can choose activities. It will give an average age range for each:
- 0-3 Years Autoplay - moves through the pages and illustrations of the app on its own with various farm animals. Text is shown of each animals' name and it is stated aloud. At the end, an animal scene is shown where the children can press different animals to hear their sounds and the moon to see them sleep.
- 1-4 Years Reading Words - this will show each page with a textual word and image stated aloud. The student can press on the animal to hear its sound or text to hear its name. Navigation between the pages is via the arrows.
- 3-4 Years Easy Spelling - each word is stated aloud and letter tiles are scattered to spell the word associated with the animal. Letters in the spaces are faded. You can press the animal to hear its sound. Each tile will state its letter name. If correct, the app will clap, state the letter, and then state the word. To navigate, press the arrows on the left and right hand side of the pages.
- 4+ Years Reading Sentences - this is the same as easy spelling except for instead of faded letters in the boxes, there are spaces and the app lets the users place incorrect letters in the boxes. When this happens, the incorrect letters show in red and move back onto the screen. Each page will also have a sentence on it that tells a story. Pressing on the sentence will have it read aloud.
At the top of each page is a yellow string that will pull down to show a small menu. The "Home" button will bring the user back to the activity page, the microphone will turn the sound on/off, and the "a" letters will change the font between uppercase, lowercase, and cursive lettering. By pressing the green string on the right hand side of the page, you can change between languages on the middle of the app.
What I Like About This Application:
- The application is written and narrated in six different languages which allows you to use it with children who speak different languages.
- The application is interactive, plays animal sounds and letter names, and narrates text.
- Not only is the application a book, but it focuses on spelling and reading skills.
- The rooster spelled in English is listed as a "cock". While accurate, this word can have multiple meanings and could be inappropriate for American English. Unfortunately, I am not sure how to change this as "rooster" is a significantly longer word. Just something to think about.
- Auditory Awareness - Children can learn the different sounds that animals make through use of this application.
- RtI - The application reads letter names aloud. Have the child find the beginning letter sound for each word. Have the child segment and blend the words within the application.
- Articulation/Fluency/Voice - Have the child read the sentences on the application using age-appropriate speech sounds, fluency strategies, or vocal strategies.
- Receptive Language - Children can learn farm animal vocabulary as well as the sound that each animal makes from this application. Children can also describe each animal.
- Expressive Language - Have children state or write a sentence about each animal on the application.
To the farm! is available for the iPad for $1.99.
Consonantly Speaking was given a code for this application to review. No other form of compensation was given.