The Main Page of the application includes three different ways to choose from to play the application, settings, fun activities, and the option to view more applications by Kid's Academy.
There are three different settings within the Settings. First, press on the "Settings" banner. Then, you can turn the background music on and off via a switch. You can also choose between a male or female narrator by sliding the on/off switches. Finally, you can have Facebook remember your log-in or turn the option off via an on/off switch.
Choose between "Autoplay" (where the app is read aloud and the pages/animations are done automatically), "Listen & Play" (where the narrator reads the text aloud but the user presses items to animate them/turns the pages), or "Read Myself" (where the user reads the text to him or herself, presses items to animate them, and turns the pages). If "Autoplay" is chosen, the text will also be highlighted as it is read. You can still have the text read aloud in the "Read Myself" version by pressing the red triangle "play" button.
You can show and hide the text by pressing the cloud at the top of the page. Press the arrow buttons to navigate between pages. The story of the Three Little Pigs will be played and animated. There are different ways to activate animations. You can activate them by pressing on the images, pressing while holding and dragging images within the app, shaking the iPad, or blowing on the microphone.
The last page of the application encourages users to rate and review the application on iTunes, view other applications by Kid's Academy, try the Montessori ABC Game for free, follow Kid's Academy on social media, or visit the Kid's Academy website.
Press the "Fun Activities" banner on the Main Page to head over to the games/activities within the application. There are three activities available - Puff Striker, Puzzles, and Smart Detective.
Puff Striker - Blow into the microphone to blow the Three Little Pigs' wood house down.
Puzzles -Press, hold, and drag 6, 9, or 15 puzzle pieces onto the white space to create a Three Little Pigs puzzle. You can view visual hints by pressing the question mark flag. Switch between 6, 9, and 15 pieces by pressing on the corresponding flags.
Smart Detective -Recall the scene in the story where the wolf comes down the chimney and match pairs of objects that are misplaced to put them back correctly in the scene.
After the user is done playing each game, he or she can share his or her score on Facebook.
What I Like About This Application:
- It is great that the text highlights as it is read so that children can learn words associated with the speech read aloud.
- I like how the scenes and images within the application can be animated in multiple ways. This is motivating, makes the application accessible to different users, and adds information to the text!
- The application is clean, easy to use, and the images/scenes/animations add to the text!
- The puzzles and games are motivating to play after reading the book. The Smart Detective activity is great for memory/recall and the Puff Striker activity is great for working on taking diaphragmatic breaths.
- Instead of a "Loading" screen in between pages, it would be nice if it seamlessly moved between pages or possibly had a page-turn animation.
- It would be great if the puzzles were included with the purchase of the application, not via an in-app purchase after paying for the application.
- I would prefer not to have Facebook associated with the game as the majority of people using the application are children who are not old enough to have a Facebook account.
- Articulation/Fluency/Voice - Have the child read the book aloud using age appropriate articulation/fluency strategies/vocal strategies. Work on breath support, breathing strategies, and diaphragmatic breathing when blowing down the pig's houses in the book and in the "Puff Striker" game.
- Receptive Language - Have the child describe the differences between this Three Little Pigs story and others. Have the child describe characteristics of each pig and his or her home. They can also describe different actions within the story.
- Expressive Language - Children can talk about and perform the different actions in the story.
- Memory - Have the user play the "Smart Detective" game to recall where items were positioned within the scene.
- Story Comprehension/Recall - Have children retell the story after it is read. Ask them questions about the story.
The Three Little Piggies application is available for the Nook for $2.99, $1.99 for Android, and $1.99 on the iPod/iPad/iPhone. You can also try a Lite version of the application for free!
Consonantly Speaking was given a copy of this application to review. No other form of compensation was given.