I like using the oscilloscope with my students for them to monitor their speech. I also like the ability to record sessions and take notes within the application. One thing that myself as well as many others have noted in previous reviews that we would like to see taken away but is still on the application is the ability to post to Twitter and Facebook. I understand that a user makes the choice to do so, but I do not see why anyone would ever want to share a confidential file with a social media site. E-mail is fine, but it makes me nervous with HIPAA that I might accidentally press the wrong button and load a confidential file to Facebook or Twitter.
Since I last wrote about the application, Balbus Speech has released a Lite version available for $4.99. This Lite version includes the oscilloscope (speech graph) and adjustable DAF. It does not allow the user to record speech, take notes, or save sessions. If you like the Lite version, you have the ability to upgrade to the full version within the application.
From working with a couple of voice and fluency students for the past couple months since school has started as well as attending a fluency workshop, I have learned more about fluency assessment and strategies. Since I am writing a second review of this application due to the fact that the other day was Stuttering Awareness Day, I would like to discuss how the Speech4Good application can be used for assessment and remediation of fluency disorders.
Assessment Using the Speech4Good Application:
- Turn off the "Speech Graph" and the "DAF" to solely record a persons' speech while in conversation, repeating phrases, and reading.
- Take notes following the session about secondary characteristics and types of dysfluencies and save the file to the application.
- Replay the recording(s) as many times as needed to count the number of syllables stuttered and the total number of syllables to get a percentage of syllables stuttered.
- Replay the recording(s) to determine the longest dysfluency, types of dysfluencies, and number of each type of dysfluency.
- Use the information found in your speech report.
- Use easy onset and have the client watch the "Speech Graph" to see what a strategy such as easy onset looks like on the graph to help him or her visually monitor his or her speech.
- Record a clients' speech and save it to the application. Play back the recording for the client to self-assess how many times and types of dysfluencies he or she had.
- Plug headphones with a microphone into the iPhone to use the Delayed Auditory Feedback (DAF) function. Determine the length of delay to use with the client.
- Have the client practice his or her fluency modification or fluency strategies at home and e-mail you the files of his or her recordings to keep a record. He or she can also type notes as to environmental/emotional information that might be associated with the severity of stuttering on a given day. He or she can also rate himself or herself and the therapist can keep track of his or her ratings.
Speech4Good is available for the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad for $19.99. Speech4Good Lite is available for the same devices for $4.99.
Enter the Rafflecopter below for your chance to win a copy of Speech4Good!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
SpeechPage.com. SpeechPage creates pages using graphics, thick laminated pages, velcro, binders, dry erase markers, and more! These are all created by a certified speech-language pathologist named Don D'Amore, M.A. CCC-SLP. Activities in which they sell include AAC boards, visual schedules, articulation/minimal pair page activities, WH question lists, talking topics, grammar pages, multiple step direction activities, life skills pages, concept pages, and bundles of their activities! Consonantly Speaking was given three different products to review and giveaway (600 Different WH-Type Questions, Language Listening to Multi Steps 4C, and Interactive Prepositions), so continue reading for reviews and giveaways of each of these three products!
SpeakinMotion Vast-Autism applications, uses animal assisted therapy techniques, blogs for iTherapy by: ProActive Speech Therapy, and has most recently started a television series (also available on the web) called Autism TodayTV! I hope that someday I can accomplish even a quarter of the things that she has in her life so far! To learn more about the "Apps for Autism" book and enter to win a copy for yourself, continue reading!
Crazy Speech World asked me which product of hers I wanted to review, I chose Galaxy Grammar! Galaxy Grammar is an activity pack where each activity relates to space, astronauts, planets, and more within the space theme! There are six different worksheets and activities included. Continue reading for my review and a giveaway of Galaxy Grammar!
Speech Time Fun, under the pseudonym "Miss Speechie", has currently authored 50 products on Teachers Pay Teachers. To be honest, I am jealous of her will-power to keep her name a secret (I tried for 2-3 months, but gave in). It is difficult to keep ones' social life, work life, and online presence separate and I applaud anyone who can do that. Anyhow, one of Miss Speechie's activities is her Super Hero Story Recall and Comprehension pack. If your students are anything like mine, they love the super hero theme! Continue reading for my review of this printable activity as well as your chance to win a copy for yourself!
Speech Room News! She has created 43 different printable materials available at her store and written a great post about how she makes her materials. Today, I am going to review one of my favorite pragmatic skills games of hers - "In Your Shoes". At the end of my review, you will have an opportunity to win a copy for yourself, so continue reading!
Okay, I had to try re-write the lyrics to "I've Been Working on the Railroad" but I think that the Bats in the Cave version is actually a much better re-write. Anyhow, if you are looking for a spelling application that works on silent e and more, Bats in the Cave offers practice with this skill through a fun mining activity! Continue reading for my review and a giveaway of this application!