This Fun Deck comes with instructions, game ideas, and 64 cards total. There are two different levels separated by blue and red colors. Level One (blue in color) presents different basic information about the "Age of Reptiles". Level Two (red in color) has "interesting facts about particular dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures".
Each card has a title, an informational paragraph about dinosaurs, and three questions about the paragraph. Content on the cards should be read aloud to the client.
These cards can be used for practice one after the other, or you can play games using the cards. Super Duper Publications has two game recommendations on their "Game Ideas" card:
"Players sit in a circle, placing the shuffled cards text-side down in the middle of the circle. Player One chooses a card from the deck and reads the lesson and questions to the other players. Teacher/Helper awards one point to each player who answers a question correctly. Play continues in turn. Player with the most points wins."
Agree or Disagree?
"Shuffle cards and place text-side down in a pile. Teacher/Helper provides each player with a note card with the word "Agree" on one side and the word "Disagree" on the other. Teacher/Helper reads the lesson to Player One. Player One answers each question. If the other players agree with the answer, they hold up the card side with "Agree," and if they disagree, they hold up the card side with "Disagree". Teacher/Helper awards one point for each correct answer by each player. Play continues in turn. Player with the most points wins.
What I Like About This Product:
- The topic of dinosaurs is motivating to many of my students. Many SLPs and even summer camps use themes each week, so these cards would be great to use for a dinosaur theme!
- The lessons/facts about dinosaurs and other animals living around that time are real facts! You can use these cards around the time your students are learning about dinosaurs and work on auditory memory skills too!
- If I have a student read this aloud to another student, it has the pronunciation of the dinosaur names next to the name spelled out which makes things easy!
- The illustrations are just as motivating as the topics themselves!
- I would prefer for the cards to be leveled based on the length of the paragraph read.
- I would definitely like a variety of paragraph lengths for students who are working at the 1-3 sentence level vs. 4-6 sentence level.
- Articulation/Fluency/Voice - A student who is working on articulation/fluency/vocal skills can read the paragraphs and questions on the various cards aloud using their strategies.
- Auditory Memory - This entire card deck focuses on auditory memory and comprehension.
- Question Answering - There are three questions following each paragraph for the student to answer.
- Reading Comprehension - If you would like your client to work on reading comprehension instead of auditory comprehension, have him or her read the paragraphs to himself or herself and answer the questions.
- Writing - Have your client answer each question by writing down his or her answer. If you have a group of students, have them all write down their answers to the questions, then read them aloud to see who is correct.
The Auditory Memory For Dinosaurs & More Fun Deck is available from Super Duper Publications for $12.95!
The author of Consonantly Speaking was given a copy of this Fun Deck to review. No other form of compensation was given.